Housatonic Valley Health District (HVHD) provides opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students and recent graduates to learn about public health and the application of public health practices. Students and recent graduates may be provided with the opportunity to:
- Shadow public health officials and gain exposure to the operations and day-to-day tasks of HVHD
- Experiential learning and assignments that reflect methods in how the office strives for government to be more effective, efficient and elegant
- Establish a framework to enhance the educational experience through practical work and research, thereby developing skills useful for career development
- Develop personal and professional public health skills and create public health contacts
*All internships/job shadowing opportunities are unpaid unless otherwise noted.
We have internship opportunities available in the following categories:
- Health Communications
- Environmental Health
- Community Health Education
- Clinical Consultation
- Emergency Preparedness
Vaccination and Wellness Clinics
Register for a vaccination or wellness clinic.
Register for a flu vaccination clinic in your area. Persons 6 months and older
Register for a travel vacination clinic near you. Vaccines and prescriptions for international travel.
Covid-19 Vaccines for eligible residents. Supply is limited.
Meet your HVHD Immunization Program Supervisor.
Community Health Nursing Supervisor
Heidi Bettcher earned a BS in Nursing from Western Connecticut State University and has been a practicing nurse for 20 years, specializing in pediatrics. Heidi has held various nursing positions, which include her position as a home care case manager and community health coordinator. She has worked for medical offices, hospitals, schools, and home care nursing agencies.
As the Community Health Nursing Supervisor, Heidi is in charge of clinical operations, which includes overseeing vaccine clinics, managing clinical personnel, monitoring infectious disease cases, establishing community relationships with local health care providers, and planning and conducting a range of community health programs and screenings.